The Office of Indigenous Initiatives and the VP/AVP (Indigenous Initiatives)
As part of Western’s commitment to increase Indigenous voices and presence across all levels of work, study and research, the University has established an Office of Indigenous Initiatives.
The Office and the VP/AVP (Indigenous Initiatives) leads system-wide change in order to advance truth and reconciliation efforts, and achieve equitable outcomes for Indigenous Peoples.
The Office plays a lead role in:
- Championing Indigenous strategic directions;
- Building collaborative and community-engaged partnerships; and
- Supporting campus partners in implementing Western’s Indigenous Strategic Plan.
We work to build and strengthen relationships with Indigenous communities locally, provincially, nationally and internationally, and to foster an academic environment, where all students, staff, faculty and community members experience Western as a welcoming, supportive, culturally-safe environment in which Indigenous languages, ways of knowing, being and doing are respected and supported.
The Office’s priority areas are:
- Strategic planning and implementation
- Communications and reporting
- Community engagement
- Policy development and practice
- Space planning and management
- Curriculum and training development
- Student affairs, access and recruitment strategies
- Faculty and staff recruitment and retention strategies
- Research and scholarship strategies
For more information, please contact us.